Sunday, February 13, 2011 -
By Barbara Brady
Special to Relocation.com
"Should I stay or should I go now? If I go there will be trouble … and if I stay it will be double…" – The Clash
Is it time for you to fish or cut bait with where you live? The following assessment should give you a good start in realizing if you'd be better off staying where you are, or moving on to greener pastures. These questions assume that there isn't anything major that's currently preventing you from relocating, like a sick parent who needs your care.
Rate yourself on each of the following statements on a scale of 1 to 3:
1 = Doesn't Apply 2 = Somewhat Applies 3 = Definitely Applies
1. You don't feel like you fit in where you currently live. ________
2. You've found it hard to meet and connect with people where you're living. ________
3. You hate the weather where you are. ________
4. You're feeling drawn to a particular city or area of this country, or foreign country, and are dreaming about what it would be like to live there (either awake or asleep). ________
5. You are drawn to living in topography different from your current one. (For example, do you live in a flat area but love the mountains; live inland but pine for the ocean?) ________
6. You're experiencing health issues where you live, which may include seasonal affective disorder (SAD), allergies, or problems with the heat. ________
7. Things just don't seem to be clicking where you're currently living and you don't know why.________
8. You're feeling a strong pull to try living in another culture, whether short-term or long-term (Native American, Thai, etc.). ________
9. Your values are different from most people living in your community. ________
10. The place where you're currently living is draining, versus giving you energy. ________
11. The lifestyle of your dreams would be difficult to achieve where you live now. ________
12. You'd really like to move, but you're afraid to do so. ________
||Congratulations! It sounds like you're living in a place that's perfect for you now. |
|13 to 18
||You may settling for mediocrity in your location.|
|19 to 24
||You are definitely settling for mediocrity. It's time to think about where you'd love to live.|
|25 to 30
||Hello???!! Why are you still living where you are? |
|31 to 36
If your score was a 3 for any of the following questions: 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11 or 12, I recommend that you take a closer look at why you're living where you are.
Three additional key questions to ask yourself:
- Imagine you are 100 years old, in your rocking chair, looking back at your life. What would you regret more: staying where you are or moving when you felt the urge or calling?
- What's the worst thing that could happen if you moved someplace new right now? What would you do then? Write it down. Could you handle that?
- What's the best thing that could happen if you moved someplace new right now? Is it worth the potential downside?
So what will it be? Will you stay or will you go?
Your Next Move:
Choose a New Hometown
Barbara Brady is a Life Transition Coach and author of the book "Make the Right Move Now: Your Personal Relocation Guide": http://snipurl.com/1k21n designed to help people discover and move to their ideal location. Visit her website at: http://www.mycoachbarbara.com/