Tuesday, June 15, 2010 -
NEW YORK - April 7, 2009 - While many communities across the country are struggling with a down real estate market, there are some positive signs for Texas. The state is attracting more new residents and will likely continue to do so, according to a new study from Relocation.com, the leading online consumer resource for moving services. Austin ranked as the state’s most popular destination.
Relocation.com analyzed requests for moving services in 2007, 2008 and the first quarter of 2009. For interstate moves involving Texas, 62 percent were people moving to Texas; 38 percent were leaving Texas. For 2008, the state ranked fourth in the country for popularity based on this measure
On a per-capita basis, Austin was by far the most popular city in Texas to move to, nearly double the percentage of the next city on the list, San Antonio. Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston and El Paso rounded out the list, according to Relocation.com data.
All major Texas cities have more people moving to the city than leaving, except for El Paso; of all moving requests involving El Paso, 55 percent were requests for moves leaving the city, while 45 percent were requests to move to the city.
"With many consumers moving to find better job opportunities or standard of living, we are seeing strong interest in Texas," said Sharon (Ron) Asher, chairman and founder, Relocation.com. "Our analysis of the data over the last couple of years shows the state is continuing to move in a positive direction."
On a per-capita basis for cities with more than 1 million people across the U.S., Las Vegas saw the greatest number of moving quote requests from out of state in 2008, followed in order by Denver, Charlotte, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Orlando, Washington D.C. and Atlanta. The results are nearly identical to 2007's data.
For additional Texas moving information, please visit: http://www.relocation.com/blog/texas-recession-doesnt-tarnish-lone-states-shine.
Relocation.com analyzed nearly 500,000 moving quote requests in 2008 to determine where people are moving. Figures from the U.S. Census Bureau indicate that 34 million people moved between 2007 and 2008; assuming 2.6 persons per household, Relocation.com's moving data represents nearly 3.5 percent of people making moves in the country. The Census Bureau says the vast majority of movers in the U.S. make local moves; according to 2006 data, 62 percent of people making a move stayed within the same county, while 20 percent moved to a different county but within the same state. Fourteen percent moved state to state, while 3 percent moved from abroad.
Relocation.com is the largest online marketplace connecting consumers who are moving locally, nationally or internationally with professionals that can best service their needs. Working with many leading moving and storage companies, Relocation.com provides free quotes from quality, professional companies who can service consumers during their upcoming move. It is focused on helping make the relocation process easier and less challenging for the 40 million people moving each year. Relocation.com offers comprehensive information, tools and resources to help consumers compare, connect and learn about products and services from hundreds of relevant providers. Ranked No. 18 of the top 50 media companies on the 2008 Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing companies, the company was founded in 2000 by online moving industry pioneer, chairman Sharon (Ron) Asher, and is based in New York. For more information, visit www.relocation.com.