Sunday, February 13, 2011 -
By Relocation.com Staff
Garage sales are a great way to get rid of some of your old belongings when you move. Not only will you be able to make a little extra money for moving-related expenses (boxes can add up), getting rid of your junk (um, belongings) will lessen what bring to you next home -- saving expenses from moving companies. Here's how to get organized and have your own garage sale.
- Advertise. Buy a small ad in your local newspaper or post flyers around town to spread information about your garage sale including the time, date and address. If possible, it is also advisable to advertise a rain date in the event that the weather interferes.
- Spread the word. Beginning a day or two before, scatter signs on nearby streets to remind your neighbors when and where the sale is being held.
- Organize. Sort everything you want sold, by category, in one area of the garage so it is ready for the following day. Also guarantee you have a sufficient amount of tables and chairs; if necessary, borrow some from friends or neighbors.
- Set a price. To prevent chaos during the garage sale, mark every item with your desired price. Use bright color or neon tags so that your customers can immediately notice how much it is.
- Sell as much as possible. Remember, the more you sell the less you have to pack for your move. Be willing to accept lower offers for those hard to sell items, especially if it is something that will end up collecting dust in your new home, too.