By Relocation.com Staff
The following are tips to help make moving with your dog an enjoyable experience:
Packing a Doggy Bag
- Your best bet is to give your dog time to adjust to traveling, especially if this will be his first time moving. Start off by taking your dog along for short rides such as a trip to the store, picking up the kids from school or just a quick drive around the neighborhood.
- Plan ahead and make arrangements for the move beforehand. If you are flying, reserve a space for your pet at least 3-4 months prior because flights have limits on how many pets they are permitted to carry. If you are driving, be cautious and make sure your pet has somewhere to sleep because you won't want to begin searching for a pet friendly motel/hotel after a long days drive.
- Your dog will be most comfortable with his personal items. Feed your dog the same food and surround him with the familiar toys or items during the moving.
- The best way to prevent your dog from running away at your new home is to keep them on a leash while driving or when exiting the car.
Just like you, your pet has belongings to pack. Here is a list of items your pet should not forget to bring along to his or her new home:
- Pet food
- Can opener
- Litter and/or Scooper
- Treats of choice
- Grooming Brush
- Collar and Leash
- ID Tags
- Up-to-date Medical Records
Your Next Move:
Do's and Don'ts of Moving Your Pets